Friday, June 6, 2008

"Generosity As Method"


I am so overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity I have experienced conducting chapbook swaps so far - the giving and gifting that occurs is productive on both distributive and communicative levels. Not only has this given me a chance to expand my "readership" (or rather start), swapping has allowed me to share in the creative processes and publishing activities of many wonderful writing communities and independent presses, here in Auckland and on the other side of the world. I often experience a lot of anxiety, as a beginner - writer and publisher - so being in contact with very inspiring, experienced and dedicated people has alleviated much of this. I feel chapbook swapping will positively influence, open up and diversify my practice more - not only as others support my activity through the exchanges, but as they share their own writing and publishing experiences with me. Thank you! I hope to continue to do more swapping.

I also would like to take the opportunity to showcase such wonderful gifts - from three wonderful wee presses:

Michael Steven's Soapbox Press
Click here to be directed to Michael's wonderful poetry blog



Lovely to find other small press activity right here in Auckland... Soapbox publications are stocked at Parsons and Jason Books, or alternatively you could email Michael (you can find his contact email on his blogger profile).






Carrie Hunter's ypolita press



Carrie sent me two beautiful chapbooks - Gothenburg from Three Geogaophies: A Milkmaid’s Grimoire by Arielle Guy ...



... and ypolita's latest chapbook, Easter Sunday by Barbara Jane Reyes.
I love the beautifully illustrated covers.



... take a look inside Easter Sunday.





Juliet Cook's Blood Pudding Press
to be administered in spoonfuls...




Juliet, also very kindly, sent me two chaps! Ectoplasmic Necropolis - great title! Love the binding - making use of different kinds of ribbon-ish materials - and the brightly coloured paper too ...

... back cover illustration surprise!


... and The Laura Poems - am looking forward to reading this very much...

... Twin Peaks is such a great series, and as Juliet's poems are, I'm sure.

If anyone would like to do a chapbook swap - and remember I am keen to trade for any other lovely bits - please be in touch!

More soon! X

3 comments:

Juliet Blood Pudding said...

What a nice little entry and showcase.

I love chapbook swaps and art trades, too.

I am going to add you to my lists of people and presses on the Bloody Ooze blog.

A Sleepless Night (Standing) said...

Thank you Juliet! I will also add you to my sidebar - have been meaning to update it for awhile now... X

Anonymous said...

What I love about your blog is its intense focus on writing as art :) And love swaps and art trades... just wish I had more time to be making non virtual things :)