Friday, October 17, 2008

Experimental writing is only private action.

This title sums up a mainstremist (?) prejudice and shallow attitude toward writing that interrogates the formal arrangement of language. I speak to this as not a new phenomenon or attitude but as an observation directly relating to my own current practice as a young writer.

I recently developed a piece of writing that experimented with sentence formation for Sam Rountree-Williams solo exhibition currently showing at Newcall Gallery. I had expressed doing writing for the studio-based collective as I saw them in keeping with some of the things I am doing in my own practice. Sam approached me to write for the show, and I feel our pairing worked really well in terms of the proximity of some of our ideas and ideas for articulating them (in paint and in writing). My piece specifically emerged from a series of discussions with Sam as well as the writing/language studies I am currently undertaking and poets I am reading. (I would undoubtedly cite Leslie Scalapino as my main influence - spurring these thoughts and how I could consider writing them - but there are so many others).

The writing was described by one funded art blogger as "waffly" and "impenetrable." I differentiate Hurrell's blog from his other writing because I am not familiar with it and assume there is a difference in terms of critical content and form. While I understand that my writing is difficult to "digest wholly" (assuming that's what readerly penetration does and highlighting that in fact my piece purposely resists that), he offered no commentary on why he thought this - as if it explained itself. I am interested in what constitutes as "waffly" and what the referent is precisely in my piece - he does not talk either of these things.

It's not that I expect I won't receive remarks like this, but want to point out the way in which his comment denigrates and voids my writing as a valid interpretation and experience of Sam' work. It also blatantly assumes clarity is both always being "self evident" and that isn't something we should be interrogating.

Hurrell finds my writing frustrating in its refusal to offer a singular meaning for a reader(?) It slides deliberately to configure multiple meanings and senses of Sam's work (as in I could not write that in a straight forward way because I wanted the reader to actually experience that in the writing - so it had to be distinct from the normative way of communicating with people). This textual openness I agree is so unlike the majority of art writing that legitimises an art experience via one's ability to categorically situate the work or connect it to "movements" and other practitioners (describing the viewer's experience to them?)

It surprises me also because I am directly speaking about an idea that has been articulated by so many (phenomenologists, quantum physics, Zen, Cage...) and I focus on that particular thing throughout the piece - it is not divergent in that sense I am talking about many different things. So I am both sustaining attention and versioning the same points (so in a way what I say does not change, but also changes) allowing the reader "to get a hold of" what I am saying without tying them down per se.

Sam's show runs from 15 October - 1 November. Copies of my piece are available from Newcall Gallery and on their website.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the perils of parochialism.

You and Sam should both be proud of your collaboration.
Who cares if this Hurrell chap soesn't 'get' your work.
He probably has a limited repertoire of reading skills. . .

Wallace Stevens posits that 'All poetry is experimental' & I tend to concur - Some people take more risks in their experimentation than others :-)

Mx

Jen said...

good on ya, Emma! a very stimulating reading last week, too - thanks!

j

Nancy & Co said...

John Ashbery, the American surrealist poet, says that he hates to critique anyone's poems. He reads a poem quickly and either likes it, or doesn't.

Just because someone had a paying job commenting on other people's writing, doesn't make them wise.

Emma, I read Steven Allen May's review of your chapbooks and would love to show them to my class, in Arch Hill. Please email me when you get a chance, nancye@slingshot.co.nz.

Thanks!

maps said...

Oi! Wot appened to this blog?

Anonymous said...

go2av成人網.777成人色情.免費h影片,成人影片分享.成人動畫.免費 a片,sogo 色論壇.百分百成人圖片.18成人卡通.a片短片試看,av女優報報.4u成人-sex.免費成人影片.檳榔西施摸奶影片,免費A片.成人遊戲.sex520貼片,日本av女優,色美眉,sex,成人.sex520-嘟嘟成人.午夜成人.成人漫畫-a片天堂.日本 a 片,無碼影片,美女,sexy,a片天堂.aa片天堂.玩美女人,自拍.0401成人.av383,dvd,無碼影片.成人文學.哈尼視訊,鹹濕視訊.0401成人交友-情色. jp成人.限制級,免費成人片觀賞.免費成人情色.av969 免費短片.sex情色.sex女優王國,情色,av.sex女優王國情色.免費a片卡通,travian tw4.免費a片線上看,卡通aa片免費看.aaa的滿18歲卡通影片.免費成人影片sex,av女優.免費成人影片sex女優.xxxpanda com.成人圖片.性愛,a漫,線上a片.18成人電影-色情.高雄聯盟聊天,卓文萱性感照片.xxxholic春夢記.xxxholic次元魔女.玩美女人影音秀,a片頻道.xxx18.免費a片卡通,免費成人片試看.一對多美女視訊.一對多視訊,美女短片免費試看.xxx movie.線上 aa 片試看,成人 視訊.免費a片線上觀看s383視訊.18成人影城.xxx383.情色 視訊免費成人.成人影城.嘟嘟成人網.成人光碟.成人網站-天天看美女.一夜情人視訊 .live173影音視訊聊天室 .日本av女優,免費a影片.av影片性愛巴士

Nancy & Co said...

Hi Emma, Would love to be in touch and give you a copy of the books the Toi Ora class has made. Sorry to be out of touch this past year!
Nancy

nancye@slingshot.co.nz

蔡燕 said...

天下父母心-時時孝順你的父母~~.................................................................