Monday, May 12, 2008

Winterling Activity: A Project Completed & A Call To (Writerly) Arms...



Determined to publish ten copies of two different chapbooks ... Winterling Chapbook Project One is finally complete! Check out those lovely sewn signatures... After endlessly long and busy days at university sitting in front of a computer and/books working hard, meant any time I could squeeze in for chapbook making was always a happy and welcome change. I particularly enjoyed repeating a set of delightfully creative but methodical actions - the book making process has been certainly rewardingly relaxing for me these past few weeks.


Chapbooks one and two from Winterling Series One, are As For We Love, At The Instant As Being Entirely Different From It. & there is always the impossibility of being able to move sideways. Thank you to Campbell for single-handedly taking the printing task on board, I am sending you my love here. (We are using an ink-jet to print these, and for anyone who prints books like this will understand the initial trials and tribulations that accompany this process and the difficulties in trying to explain it to someone else - perhaps this should be limited to the extremely patient, but I must say, a great way to start making your own chaps).



I have posted about there is always the impossibility of being able to move sideways chap - in case you missed it, click here.


The other chap ...

... takes a line from Lyn Hejinian's My Life ("As for we who love to be astonished") as the starting point.



This chapbook, is self-assuredly a poem (different, however related to, much of the loose form/method/style of poetic prose, or the faux genre of prose-poems, I tend to use mostly for writing). It is concerned with pushing sentimentality to its limit, or outer-edge but also simultaneously constantly, almost exhaustively, reduces all to sentimentality. This poem was also written for someone, I had a particular recipient in mind and consequently I certainly feel something shifts or is shifting in the writing as it is read.



Plans for Winterling

I would love to hear from, firstly, anyone interested in participating in Winterling in any way, shape or form - I am hungry for writing (I want to make it clear I am just as much interested in publishing others), or anyone with an interest in book arts, making, crafting, illustrating or being part of this new-ling poetics community. However I should mention that I will be one hundred percent focused on the five University projects that I must finish over the next four weeks and am then going overseas for four weeks after that - so I will not be starting anything in terms of production or meeting with interested folk until after that - and it also unfortunately means that all my other writing projects are currently on hold, not that they haven't been stagnant for awhile now :-( However, I would still love to talk plans, potentialities and speculations via email, so please get in touch as soon as you wish to!

And secondly, anyone interested in receiving one of these chapbooks as part of a gift exchange - please email me! I am interested in trading my chapbooks for other chapbooks, materials, paper supplies, interesting ephemera, random collected things, with others - any artists, poets, writers, crafters, or anyone who wants to be a part of this ....

More soon! X

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

I'd be interested in a book swap.
I've got a small press, too.

cheers,
Michael

A Sleepless Night (Standing) said...

Oh how wonderful! I would love to arrange a swap - my email is - emma.phillipps@gmail.com

Off to check out your blog!

Emma X

Unknown said...

I'd love to be involved, sadly I am all the way across the globe in NJ.

A Sleepless Night (Standing) said...

Thats ok - Im sure you still can be! Please email me and we can definately suss something out. X

DUSIE said...

Hi Emma,

What a great project!!! I would love to swap!!! And be involved?

xSusana

A Sleepless Night (Standing) said...

Thank you Susana! I would love to do a swap with you - I'll send you an email... Lovely to have associations with Dusie - am very excited about the kollektiv too! Cant wait to get started. X

Juliet Blood Pudding said...

Hi Emma. Followed the link from the dusie group. Winterling sounds nifty (and I can relate to the trials & tribulations of ink jet printing!). I am pretty much always interested in chapbook swaps, so please do feel free to check out www.BloodPuddingPress.etsy.com and see if you would like to trade one of your chaps for one of the Blood Pudding Press chaps.

Cheers, Juliet Cook